Sunday, October 14, 2007

The First One

Daniel wants to IM me on JDate. No picture...hmmmm. What the hell, you never know!

He and I chat for a while. He's older than the men I'm used to dating (35), has a house in Philly and an apartment here in Manhattan, and seems like a decent enough guy. We set up a date at a place of my choosing.

Date day rolls around. I'm looking quite fantastic, if I do say so myself.

I have no clue what he looks like. He described himself as tall and good looking (or at least he's been told). I get to the bar, and he is totally not what I expect. He's built like a football player (he did play in college), and is wearing a hat, so I can't assess the hair situation. The conversation is good. I get wine, he gets Jack on the rocks. We do a flight of wines (I end up hating most of them). We get another round.

He asks if I'd like to get food upstairs and I say yes. The food is great, the atmosphere is nice, and the conversation is awesome. For the first time in my life there is a guy sitting across from me who tells me that my job sounds fascinating. I'm still not sure if this guy will be relationship material, but it's still early.

The check comes. He pays it without flinching. This could be the start of something good!

He gives me a peck on the cheek and I go home happy and renewed.